Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Comparisons



I read a great article in this month's Clarksville Family titled "Confessions of a Mom" by Kim Edmondson. The portion that I really liked follows:
"I have found that some of the biggest challenges I face as a mom come from within myself and have nothing to do with my children. One of those areas is the comparison game. I can easily become focused on how well dressed, well mannered and well behaved other children may be and miss seeing the fabulous things my own children are accomplishing. I am learning that my boys couldn't give a flying flip about designer clothes, or being recognized for the best etiquette. They need to know that I love them, no matter what. They do not spend time comparing me to other moms, so I do not need to spend time comparing them to other children. "

I am guilty of the "comparison game". I really think ALL moms do this at least occasionally. Sometimes I even find myself comparing one of my children to the other. I compare behavior, developmental milestones and athletic ability. And even though I might have good intentions, that doesn't make the comparison okay. All people, big or little, are different and individual - so comparison really is pointless.
I particularly like the last line of the exerpt because it got me to thinking. My kids DO think that I am the perfect mom, even though I am definitely not. I need to make sure and remember that my kids are not perfect people but they are perfectly normal (and exceptional!) kids.


The article begins on page 14.





No comments:

Post a Comment