Saturday, October 23, 2010

Owen - the sockless wonder boy

Okay. I am going to put something out there that is extremely controversial. Here it goes. I only put socks on my infant son when it is cold outside. GASP. I know it is shocking and you are struggling not to judge, but there it is. I say this because a random lady at the grocery this week told me my kid needed socks. Well she didn't come out and actually say it. Instead, she told HIM in her most annoying babytalk "your little toes are so cold, you need socks." and then looked up at me. I get your point lady, although I totally refuse to listen to you.

The reason I bring up this story is because it seems like everyone has something to say about children these days. For me, it always happens at the grocery store and it is getting super old. What really bugs me is getting "the comment". I cringe everytime I hear it and I hear it multiple times during every grocery trip.

Apparently having two, or heaven forbid three, children is a lot these days. If you take your children to the store you will be stared at like a local version of Nadya Suleman or the Duggar mom. The first thing that must pop into the minds' of innocent bystanders is "WOW - you have your hands full." I know, I know - that isn't that bad. But trust me, after you hear it 6 or more times (yes, I have) it starts to tick you off. I feel like I have things under control and my kids are pretty well-behaved so I do take a little offense. In full disclosure I must say that my "wagon train" approach to shopping probably doesn't help my image. Owen rides in his stroller. I push the stroller, pull a cart and Jacob walks. I guess it is a little funny, but my kids don't cry, scream, knock things down (often)or cause problems in general. So I don't understand why 2 well-behaved kids in a grocery equals a handful worth commenting on constantly.

People feel compelled to comment on others' children all the time. In the relatively short period of time that I have been a mom (6.5 lovely years), I have received stranger advice on what my child should wear, eat, play with and how I should nurse them, hold them and clean them. I am starting to think that every new mom should come home from the hospital with a "Comments and Suggestions" box that she can wear around her neck. As far as I am concerned, all annoying strangers are free to give me suggestions, but my glassy-eyed look should tell you that I am not listening to anything you say...

1 comment:

  1. I am so not the person people want to comment to-
    try this one "I would rather have my hands full than to be so bored I walk around the grocery store making random comments to people"

    ReplyDelete